Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cambridge Colleges Picturebook VIII: Churchill, St. Edmunds, Lucy Cavendish

Churchill College was founded in 1958, launched by retired Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

The college has a 70:30 ratio of science to arts students, a very large number of postgraduates and a large program of overseas visiting fellowships.

As you can tell by these pictures, Churchill College also has a very modern campus.

The large campus grounds contain several unique sculptures, like the one pictured here.

Here's the Archives building at Churchill College.

Here is some of the student housing at Churchill. It claims to have the first flats in Cambridge University designed for married postgraduates. Now several colleges have accommodations for married couples.

More student housing. It's an extremely large campus.

This picture shows the Moller Centre for Continuing Education. It was opened in 1992.

St. Edmunds College began as lodgings for Roman Catholic students in 1896 and converted into a postgraduate college in 1965.

This picture shows a beautiful crest above the doorway to one of the student blocks. St. Edmunds is named after a 13th century Archbishop of Canterbury.

St. Edmunds now has about 200 students, not all of whom are Roman Catholic.

Here's more housing at St. Edmunds.

Even though it's not necessary to be Roman Catholic to live here, St. Edmunds remains the only college in the University with a Roman Catholic chapel, pictured here.

Here is a statue of Sts. George and Edmund, located in the chapel.

The windows in the chapel were beautiful. This one depicts four English saints.

Here's another view of the chapel.

Lucy Cavendish College was Britain's first University college for mature women (aged 21 and over). It was founded in 1965.

"Lucy Cav" employs only women academics, the only Cambridge college with that authority.

Lucy Cavendish is the smallest of the University of Cambridge's 31 colleges: it has only about 150 students.

Here's a picture of the student housing at Lucy Cavendish. The college got its name from the daughter-in-law of the founder of the Cavendish Laboratory. She was an advocate of women's education.

More student housing. Two thirds of the students are undergraduates.

This is College House, the administrative building.

Here is the Porter's Lodge, standing guard at the entrance to the college.


Post a Comment

<< Home